Remember when we briefly talked about venture capital-backed video game studios in Episode No. 2 with The Molasses Flood? For episode four, we talked to one! More specifically, Seth Sivak, who is CEO and co-founder of Boston-based Proletariat Inc.
Here are some things we talked about:
- Why Proletariat decided to enter the crowded battle royale space with juggernauts like Fortnite and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- How Proletariat plans to use RPG and spellcasting elements to differentiate its battle royale game, Spellbreak, from the competition
- What Proletariat learned from their first two titles: mobile strategy game World Zombination and “stream first” multiplayer action game Streamline
- How streaming influenced the design and distribution strategy of Proletariat’s games
- How the closure of Zynga’s Boston office led Seth and his co-founders to start Proletariat
- Why Proletariat decided to pursue venture capital versus bootstrapping
- Proletariat Inc.’s website
- Spellbreak pre-alpha sign-up page
- 2016 BostInno article about Proletariat and Streamline
- 2015 Xconomy article about Proletariat’s $6 million funding round
- 2012 Boston.com article about Zynga Boston’s closure
Recorded at PRX’s Podcast Garage in Allston, Mass.